Zimbra installation on any linux is very easy. It keeps system administrator in peace. If you really want to feel it INSTALL IT ;-) Enjoy.
- Download Zimbra OS from http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html
- Before configuring setup the dns for the domain you want to configure the email on local machine or any dns servers. Example : Everydns, Xname.org.. ( This may take few hours).
- Installation of bind ( Dns ) Configuration on debian / ubuntu.
- apt-get install bind ( Installs bind packages on debian box )
- add your ip address to /etc/hosts.
- The first line of the file defines the IP address of localhost as follows: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
- The second line will include the private IP address and hostname of the server: 126.96.36.199(Public Ip Address) mail.domain-name.com mail
Your Public-Ip-Address mail.domain-name.com mail
- Go To /etc/bind/ copy db.local file /var/cache/bind/'domain'.db = ( 'domain' = Your Domain Name. Any .com , .in, .org,) It would be better to configuring on local machine as dns server take few hours to resolve.
- Change the domain name and ip address. ( Dont forget to add your ip add in /etc/hosts ).
- Tip :- Properly mention the ( DOT (.) , Open Bracket & Close Bracket () in the /var/cache/bind/domain-name.db file. These are the main important things techies will go mad. ;-) unless they are very professional.
- Add the domain zone in /etc/bind/named.conf.local
;$TTL 604800@ IN SOA domain-name.com. root.domain-name.com. (1 ; Serial604800 ; Refresh86400 ; Retry2419200 ; Expire604800 ) ; Negative Cache TTL;@ IN NS example.com.@ IN A 127.0.0.1(Public IP Add)mx IN A 127.0.0.1(Public IP Add)mail IN A 127.0.0.1(Public IP Add)@ IN MX 5 mx.example.com.
- Try to dig(Resolve) your domain name locally it should point your ip address.Once verified you can go head with next step. If you find any problem check the previous step.
- Use dig command to check. exaample :- dig domain-name.com, dig domain-name.com mx.
- Untar the downloaded zimbra file.
- Before installation of zimbra you may need to install some necessary dependency packages.
libidn11, fetchmail, libgmp3c2, libxml2, libstdc++6, openssl, libltdl3, curl
- Start installation of ZCS.
- After it confirms the dependency packages has been installed and it asks select the ZCS packages to be selected by ckecking " Y ".
- It starts unpacking the packages & installs all necessary & selected packages.
- It asks you to make some changes in the zimbra administration configuration such as https port, username, password, etc..
- Once done, Configuration will be saved & asks to send zimbra notification. ( You can say "Yes" If you want OR You can "No" too ).
- Your zimbra mailbox starts working now.
- Check your zimbra wheather its working properly.
su - zimbra
- Finally Reboot your mail machine & check it.
- Happy Zimbra Mail Server......................... :-)